The Old Mission (Mission of the Sacred Heart) is the oldest standing building in Idaho. Jesuits established it in the early 1840’s, at the invitation of the Coeur d’ Alene Indians. The first Mission was established on the St. Joe River, by Father Point. Because of its location, it was repeatedly flooded. So in 1846, the Mission was relocated to a grassy knoll, about 35 miles away. Construction of the Old Mission (at its new location) began in 1848 in a joint effort between the missionaries and native Catholics. Construction on the Mission was completed in 1853.